Implementation and validation of non-formal training on sustainability for environmental testing laboratories works
Program at a glance
European Commission, Erasmus+
Implementation and Validation of Non-formal Training on Sustainability for Environmental Testing Laboratories works
Alfonso Cadenas Cañamás, Fundación Equipo Humano
Fundación Equipo Humano
NOVOTEC CONSULTORES S.A.
M.M.C. Management Center Ltd.
Instytut Technologii Eksploatacji-Panstwowy Instytut Badawczy
University of Cyprus
3S Research Laboratory – Forschungsverein
Nireas-IWRC Project Investigator
Prof. Despo Fatta-Kassinos
Budget for Nireas-IWRC
ECVET-Lab project’s main aim was the promotion of the recognition and validation of competences acquired especially for the laboratory workplace, and through various learning pathways. The project’s framework included all persons employed in Laboratories of Environmental Sciences and Engineering that were willing to work for the accomplishment of the project´s objectives. In more detail, the ECVET-Lab project was based on two basic pillars:
The first pillar concerned the implementation of an Online Training Course (OTC) through an Open Educational Resource (OER) Learning Platform, promoting the need for training and education in sustainable development of trainees employed in the sector of laboratories of environmental testing. Through this platform, the trainees including laboratory technicians, had the chance to obtain and strengthen their work-based skills and competences in order to comply with the determined Qualification Standard/Competence Profile. After taking an initial knowledge, skills and competences test (henceforth K.S.C. Test) the trainees followed a custom-made modular training reflecting their level of qualification. All training content had a modular structure whereas each learning outcome reflected all duties and responsibilities that a sustainably-aware Laboratory Technician should have in order to carry out good environmental practices in the workplace. Thus, this non-formal learning method assured the flexibility of the trainees in acquiring their new high-quality K.S.C.
Moreover, ECVET – Lab strived to develop quality assurance mechanisms in vocational educational training (VET). To this end, the project partners developed a qualification assurance framework and used OER and IT tools in order to accomplish its main goals, to raise sustainability awareness among Laboratory Technicians and to promote the use of EU transparency tools. The methodology implemented relied on a participative approach and collaboration among different stakeholders as guaranty for an effective qualitative VET.
The main project objectives were:
- The development of an open educational resource available online and for free
- The use of a common learning outcome description in accordance to ECVET recommendation
- To gather information on national qualifications frameworks in order to identify the needs and best practices of Environmental Testing Laboratories, and to share consistent information to propose a common minimum standard applicable over all EU countries
- To make use of open license-based training modalities
- To provide a modular structure of the course and flexibility in the learning pathways
- The implementation of participative and interactive tools
- The commitment of all the relevant stakeholders and targets in the project activities, multiplier events and implementation of a constant dialogue with the partners’ organisations